Carlos Alcaraz confirms return to tennis at US Open after wrist injury
Carlos Alcaraz announced he will return to competition at the US Open, 138 days after his last match, following a wrist injury that forced him to miss Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
Carlos Alcaraz is back. The Spanish tennis star confirmed Thursday that he will return to competition at the US Open, ending a 138-day absence caused by a wrist injury that forced him to withdraw from several major tournaments, including Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
The world number three announced the news on social media with the phrase «Here we go», a signature expression of football transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano. The post quickly spread across tennis circles, confirming what many fans had hoped for since the injury sidelined him in April.
Alcaraz last played on April 14, when he lost in the first round of the Trofeo Conde de Godó in Barcelona against Otto Virtanen. That match turned out to be his final appearance before a long recovery period. The injury also forced him to miss the Mutua Madrid Open, the Italian Open in Rome, the French Open, the Queen's Club Championships, Wimbledon, the Canadian Open in Montreal, and the Cincinnati Masters.
According to reports from Spanish media, Alcaraz had initially targeted the Cincinnati Masters this week for his comeback, but he chose to extend his preparation in Spain and focus on returning at the highest level possible for the final Grand Slam of the season. The decision to wait, his team said, was made to ensure he could compete without physical limitations.
During his recovery, Alcaraz has been using a compression sleeve on his right arm to protect the wrist while practicing. This is a measure he previously used during the 2024 clay-court season after suffering an injury in Monte Carlo. That year, he went on to win Roland Garros for the first time, a result that gives him confidence heading into the hard-court major in New York.
This week, Alcaraz has been focusing on match simulations in the United States, including a practice session with Holger Rune that lasted four hours. His team said Thursday that both the player and his coaching staff felt confident enough to confirm his participation in the tournament.
Alcaraz is scheduled to travel to New York early next week, where he will train with potential opponents before the tournament begins. If he successfully defends his title, he will earn 2,000 ATP ranking points, which would help him recover ground after dropping 6,130 points during his time off the tour.
The US Open holds special meaning for Alcaraz, who won the title last year by defeating Jannik Sinner in the final. Sinner, however, remains a question mark for the tournament as he continues to deal with knee discomfort. The Italian's potential absence could shift the dynamics of the draw, though Alcaraz's team is not counting on any opponent being unavailable.
Looking ahead, Alcaraz faces a demanding schedule for the remainder of the season. If he completes the US Open without physical issues, he is expected to play the Laver Cup, the ATP tournaments in Tokyo and Shanghai, the Six Kings Slam exhibition event, the Paris Masters, and the ATP Finals in Turin. He could also return to the Davis Cup Finals in Bologna if Spain defeats Chile in their qualifying tie.
The announcement has been met with enthusiasm by fans and analysts alike, who view Alcaraz's return as a major boost for the men's tour. His aggressive playing style and competitive spirit have made him one of the most popular figures in tennis, and his presence in New York is expected to draw significant attention.
For Alcaraz, the priority is clear: compete without pain and regain the form that made him a two-time Grand Slam champion. The road back has been long, but the 23-year-old from Murcia appears ready to write the next chapter of his career on the hard courts of Flushing Meadows.


